July Update From The Large Flight Aviary

One of the great things about this aviary is how it has engaged carers from other organisations across the state and beyond, and we are joining together to try and do even better for our BOPs, and to learn from our successes and failures together.

I am particularly grateful to the people who send birds that may have been in care for quite a while, and perhaps are a little shabby in general condition. We are just happy to be able to give these birds another chance, and that carers trust us to do this to the very best of our ability. We have had some truly great successes, coupled of course with the inevitable sadness that always accompanies being a vet or a wildlife carer, but in general ?

Charlie Carter was able to come and spend some time out here last week, checking on his patients and seeing the results of his efforts first hand. The travel involved and the time spent here took a good deal of his afternoon away from the practice, and to Charlie, Chris, Bill and the whole team at the Southern Highlands Vet Centre enough gratitude can never be extended.

Dr Steve Debus and Dr Jerry Olsen also deserve special mention and thanks for their continuing help with what can be released, when and where, and they have really ramped up our mission to give every bird we send back into the wild again the best chance possible of survival.

Good news all around – here are a few you might remember and their outcomes.


Our two young boobooks, one with the fractured tibiotarsus and one with an eye trauma.

Sitting in the empty wedgie nest, their preferred place despite a plethora of suitably astro turfed perches and stringy bark branches. They both did well and buddied up beautifully, now released.
Charlie on his home visit with final year vet student from Charles Sturt Uni Chloe, checking the Boobook’s leg functioning.


The young Australian Kestrel that came in complete with jesses, and quite tame. He really became a kestrel again after finding himself in the large flight, and started to become quite bossy even with one of the wedgies! He gradually learnt that he didn’t need to come to me for food and was released with the confidence that he had good kestrel skills and was no longer interested in me.


The young Brown Falcon who came in with a badly fractured humerus demonstrating his skills and readiness for release.


This Brown Goshawk was caught in a chook pen in Malua Bay, She had badly damaged her cere and also had a nasty puncture wound in her middle toe. All healed after a couple of weeks of treatment and flying and thanks to Dave and Jennifer Harker was returned back to Malua Bay hopefully wiser!!


This entry was posted in News and tagged , , .

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *